Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ultramarines - Adding Green Stuff Chapter Badges

I took a break from painting to make some green stuff chapter badges. The tactical marking shoulder pads look better than transfers, so I wanted to make the other side match. Learning to sculpt green stuff was pretty tough, but I like the results. And even if they aren't the best, I made them myself. I've also added one with the iron skull for the squad sergeant. You can see the test version below.

Was it worth it? Well, the tools were cheaper than ordering the sets online. And the Ultramarines sets are nearly as cool as the Crimson Fists ones. Also, the AoBR models come with shoulder pads already on, so they can't be replaced  easily. And in the future, I do other shoulders like terminators or the tactical sergeant. A little work, and I can do Devastator and Fast Attack symbols. I've even got a few icons for bikes now. But the time investment was quite a bit for me. It took a few hours, and while I know I'll get quicker at it, your time may be worth more than the cost of the packs. I might go back and touch them up a bit now that I've seen the finished product, but from 3 feet away, they look fine.

Here's the link to the guide I used.

The supplies I personally used:
Vaseline
Sculpting tools (A nice little $15 set from JoAnn's, with the weekly coupons was about $8).
Wooden Dowels ($1 for a 48" rod I cut down)
Green Stuff ($8 for a pack of 2 strips from GW; I used less than one to learn how to do all this and finish this tactical squad)
File (Initial the icons were thicker than I wanted, so I had to file them down a little bit)

I found a good skull on this backpack.

A quick shot of the impression.

This is the symbol I needed to make for the sergeant.

Another shot of it.

This is the icon prior to taking an impression of it.

One of the finished sculpts.


The dark blue (older models) have transfers for comparison.



From a tabletop view.


So all in all, a successful project. If anyone has any questions about minus_t's guide let me know.

-Esh

2 comments:

  1. Definitely go for it! Also, since you play Imperial Fists, if you haven't seen it, check out the Tactical Pack:

    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440277a&prodId=prod330004a

    I've been trying to get my hands on similar icons for UM, so that I wouldn't have to carve my own.

    ReplyDelete