Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cygnar Charger

Still after a better lighting system/camera. Once I get one I might repost some old stuff, but here's the next update:

After staring at the awesome warjack models for a while, we got into a little bit of Warmachine. There are a lot of things I like, but it just didn't stick as well as 40k for us. Here's the one model I've painted up so far, a Cygnar Charger. Still developing my painting, but you can see a bit of improvement over the Tyranids. I think the main thing I forgot here was thinning my paints enough.

I used P3 paints for the most part. I'm no expert on the different paint brands, but P3 ones seem easy to thin down, pretty vibrant in color, and make sense from an "I have basic color theory knowledge" standpoint.

I primed black, and followed with a Cygnar Base Blue layer. Then I mixed Cygnar Blue Highlight and added another layer. I pretty much continued this for a couple of layers, until I began mixing Cygnar Blue Highlight with Morrow White. For the gold, I used Rhulic Gold (which I have had a lot of bad issues with sense; this might be the only model I ever keep it on) and a second layer of it with some brown ink added. The hammer and metal areas were done with Pig Iron and a Cold Steel highlight.

The base has a tan ballast that I added some muddy brown paint. I think it was scorched brown, but I can't be sure. I also used static grass for the first time. Actually, I think this was my first time basing a model!

At this point, I sprayed him with a glass cote. I thought that as a metal warjack, he might as well be shiny. After I did this, I realized I wanted more of a blend in the color changes on the blue armor, so I added some paint layers over it. It didn't seem to make a difference, and I'm happy I retouched it.










He came out lighter than the pictures show, which is a good thing! Well, that's it for this update. I'll post my old marines alongside my new one and then I'll be caught up to works in progress. Looking forward to it.

-Esh

2 comments:

  1. I think the blues really turned out well on this guy...the darker center portions fading out to the light blue on the edges really looks nice on this guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think the added lighting accentuates it.

    ReplyDelete